Addressing The 5 Factoids Challenge

So, okay. I was about to turn off the computer when I saw a comment on my first blog entry. I couldn't resist a challenge when I see one (even if I'm starting to feel sleep deprived). So I'm in my vampire mode right now (refer to one of my newly created avatars below), blood swirling in my mouth as a I prepare to dish 5 factoids about me:



  1. I can throw a mean punch when I want to. But I've only done that once and that was to protect my younger brother from a bully in our neighborhood. I was about 10 or 11 years old then. Now, my brother is big enough (he stands at 5' 10") to be the one to throw punches for me.
  2. I am scared (take note, S-C-A-R-E-D) of cockroaches. Major league phobia. Name it -- dead or alive, big or small, crawling or flying -- especially the last one, flying -- I am scared out of my wits to the point where horror movie-like screams escape my lips. It began when a big cockroach flew at me when I was 4 years old and bit me on the forehead. I never recovered since. Although I killed a cockroach or two, it's not without the scream-as-you-sweat-profusely reaction.
  3. I'm the only one from both sides of my family to study and graduate from UP. Majority of my relatives have graduated from or attended UST. At some point, I felt like an odd girl out on reunions when I hear stories about floods and rushing to the main building during earthquakes. I've learned over time that it doesn't really matter as long as you graduated and got a job in the process. There's a certain pedigree attached to graduates of the Top 4 universities but it doesn't necessarily make them better than anybody else. And I've got first-hand experience to prove it.
  4. My first-ever job interview was, strangely enough, for a summer OJT post in one of the most prestigious Advertising agencies in the country. My friend's father, who worked in that company, gladly helped her and her closest friends (7 of us in total) to get interview/pre-screening slots for acceptance into the company's OJT program that subjected qualified candidates exposure to all facets of Ad-related work. Thinking that we had inside connections, it was going to be a walk in the park. I was wrong. There were about a total of 50-60 applicants representing all the Top 4 universities. As each candidate came out of the interview room, they shared stories that the interview was easy since they were only asked about their course and extra-curriculars. When it was my turn, I was caught off-guard for two reasons. One, I didn't expect that the interviewer was an AVP of the Creative department. Second, she asked me questions as if I were applying for a real job. I was confident enough in myself to answer her questions but I went out of the room thinking I didn't nail it. A few days after, I got a message on my pager (hey, that time pagers were the in-thing and mine was a Motorola) asking me to call a certain number. I was surprised that it was the AVP who answered the phone and she informed me that I was one of the 15 OJT candidates who qualified for the program. I was flattered by that call but, to end this factoid short, I decided to pursue a different company since they paid allowances while you do the dirty work. That was my first job interview and surprisingly, my first job offer decline lesson (which I passed with flying colors). I owe that AVP a lot.
  5. Despite all appearances and perceptions, I am a true-blue Gemini which means that I also have that naughty, scheming streak in me that on some occasions can prove useful. But, it's more often exhibited in the things I write in my e-dairy rather than in action. Goody two-shoes, gah! =P
Whew, that was a long one. Especially Factoid #4. I enjoyed writing it nonetheless. 8 entries in 2 hours. Cheers to me for facing a challenge! My reward is now a good albeit few hours of sleep.

c,')

xoxo, l.p.

2 comments:

    On October 13, 2008 at 12:05 PM Anonymous said...

    very cool factoids! it was a very interesting read. looking forward to your future posts fellow-blogger :)

     

    interesting indeed. check mine too. tee-hee!

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum